UPDATE: Victory Via Twitter DM from American Airlines and they came through and changed my emergency re-routed tickets.
Muchas Gracias, @AmericanAir team.
Remember when that airline kicked the fat but oh-so-famous Kevin Smith off the plane? Well, I’m no Kevin Smith, but I’ve gathered a few followers in my time in social media. So let’s see where the customer relations journey takes us.
Situation: Emergency Flight for 80-yo mother and myself to Puerta Vallarta. My brother has had a heart attack and is in a hospital in Mexico. We pay premium pricing on American Airlines to arrive as soon as possible. Days later my brother is scheduled to be moved to Guadalajara, Mexico for his open-heart surgery on the weekend.
Request: Dear American Air lines, we paid over $2,000 for our tickets. Can you reticket our departure out of Guadalajara?
Customer Service Rep in Mexico: I’m sorry we only allow emergency changes when it is the person on the flight who is having the emergency.
Let me get this straight. If my mom or I were having a heart attack they would change the flight. But because it’s my brother they are going to charge me well over $300 more in penalties and reticketing charges? FAIL.
Process: Tweet to @americanair
File a formal complaint via their complaint system. (Okay, so I’m not an archbishop, but how silly for them to require this prefix anyway.)
Their form letter response.
What to do next… Wait and see if they respond, how they respond. My guess, I will be getting a bus at 6am tomorrow from Guadalajara to Puerta Vallarta to catch my 2pm flight.
I WAS WRONG. Thank you AA.
Some more for your LEARN box of social media:
- My Gaming Brain: What I Learn, Learned, Am Learning Playing Games
- Dell’s “New Way to Shop” for Computers? WHAT? #FAIL
- Who Are You Eating With? Notice Who You Are Inviting To Lunch
- Working Nights and Weekends: Social Media, It’s a Trap!
- The Simplest Path is the Best: Occam’s Site Map Strategy
- What’s the Status of the $300 PC In Today’s Marketplace?
- iPhone 5 Review, Kinda-Sorta-Not Really
- Words vs. Design: What is Content, What Is Information Architecture?
- When a Social Media Blogger Goes Dark. What’s the Problem?
- The Complete Google+ Page
- Metrics & Learnings: Little-Blog Analytics – 2012 Mid-year Reporting
- There is Never Enough Time To Get Everything Done: So… What’s Your Plan?
- You Don’t Have To Start Learning Google+, But You’re Gonna Fall Behind
- Authority and the Speeding Train of Project Leadership
- Positive Forces: Delayed, Deflected, Divorced, Distracted, But Not Deterred
- Plussing or Dividing: How Are You Showing Up in the World?
- Dear Graduate – a Toolkit for Learners and Job Hunters
- Expert Not Found – Social Media is About Being a “Student” not a “Guru”
Most people don’t really enjoy being mean; they do it because they can’t help it. (from Graham’s Hierarchy of Disagreement)
FYI: Less we forget: United Breaks Guitars < the social revolutionaries that got results