Facebook is a bit of a beast. It’s the only game in town if you want to spend money on SMM (social media marketing). There are other options (Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest) but so far no one has figured out how to really drive business from those other platforms. So, if Facebook is an opportunity rather than a problem, we’ve got to continue to try and work it out.
Two years ago I launched my Facebook business page with no real idea what my goals were. And then in boredom and lack of interest, this past August, I unpublished the page. Nothing happening. And perhaps my lack of focus made the page more confusing. Either way, it wasn’t doing me any favors and I wasn’t spending any time on it. So why keep it live? I tell this to clients all the time, “If you’re not going to work to engage on your page, you might not need one.”
In my case, I really don’t need a page. But there are a few things I *might* want to do with a page, and today I turned it back on, just to explore a few things.
Things you can do with a business page on Facebook.
- Ask people to like your page.
- Create a landing page on Facebook that explains what you do.
- Add another *channel* for publishing your business content, that may not be of interest to the “friends” on your personal page.
- Boost posts.
So, I’ve simply published the old page and called it new. (Not really.) I’ve republished my uber.la page with all it’s tongue-in-cheek snarkiness. But today I have a few new ideas about what I might do with a Facebook community.
- Start a mastermind group for other entrepreneurs. (email me if this sounds interesting)
- Boost a few Uber.la posts to see if I can build a reach or gather more LIKES for my page.
- Experiment with how far you can push a Facebook page in any direction. (As if I really am an internet cafe. Perhaps I need a menu.)
But regardless of what I do with uber.la’s Facebook page, it’s now live again. And if you want to join me for a bit of the fun and discovery, well, here’s the shameless plug: LIKE us on Facebook.