Have you heard of the Filter Bubble? It’s when Google (yes they do it) or Facebook (they filter about 80% of what you see) and even Twitter (started “filtering by interest”) recently started giving you the OPTION. The problem is, most of them are NOT giving you the option to turn “their” filtering OFF.
In general, filtering is not a bad work, in fact, if Google didn’t filter some of your results you’d quickly lose interest in Google as a search engine. So that’s okay, it’s when you CAN’T turn off or look beyond the filter, that I get really mad. Let’s look at Facebook’s current BASIC and STRICT Filtering, and as why isn’t there a NO Filtering option?
Here’s Facebook’s Messaging screen. Notice their use of the word “Mostly.” It’s a lie. They are feeding you messages depending on who they think you need to chat with. AND here’s the rub, if they DON’T know you, guess what… Facebook’s got this new habit of the $1, $5, or $15 offer to put the message in my INBOX or my OTHER MAIL box.
I started seeing this message pop up a month ago. And I was like, fk that, Zuck, I’m not paying you for the privilege of communicating with someone on Facebook. Well, now Zuck has got me by the proverbial Facebook Balls with his MUTE-your-ass for a FB Timeout.
But not giving me the option to TURN OFF their FILTERING is crap. It makes me mad. And please don’t pay them $0.01 to put your message in my INBOX, but don’t put it in my OTHER box either. Here’s my email address (jm(at)uber(dot)la) and you can comment here.
FK the FILTER. (Sorry, this makes me really mad.)
Download this presentation from Slideshare.net: Facebook Fails: Don’t Filter My Friends
Other Major Social Network Fails:
- Twitter Jail: What is it? What are the rules? How do I break out?
- Facebook’s Ultimate Fail: Selling Your Friends, While Limiting Your Unpaid Connections With Them
- Twitter Death – Suspended Accounts: FEAR THIS “Your account is currently suspended
More social media marketing tips:
- Marketing Blog Stats for February 2013: Social Media Marketing On Social Media Marketing
- WINDOWS 8 HELL: Dell Is Not the Only Manufacturer Suffering from WIN 8 Aversion
- Hello Twitter, It’s Me Again: Locked Out of My Primary & Essential Twitter Account
- Tethered by Tech: How Things Fail and Theoretical Speed Remains Theoretical
- PAY ATTENTION: 1. What have you been asked to do? 2. Do that. 3. Forget everything else.
- Are You a Connector? Giving Referrals & Recommendations Is Part of Your Work
- Twitter BS: DM Auto-Responders and Who To Follow *NOT*
- KRED Jacks It’s Influencer Points and Spams EVERYONE < A Lesson from #Klout
- Socialwiki.org – ReLaunching the Open Social Media Resource Directory (WIIFM)
- Eight Camera Apps That Kick Instagram’s Ass
- First Responder, Gets the Work; Resist the Urge, Pause, Breathe
- Google Page Rank: What You Know and Don’t Know Can Hurt Your Business
- Collecting Energy: Are You a Collector, Generator, or User?
A few more from the Facebook Fail Hall of Fame:
- facebook Pop Quiz #14: does facebook work like an inbox?
- facebook Pop Quiz #13: Another form of blocking friends?
- facebook Pop Quiz #12: Why do you care about MY friends?
- facebook Pop Quiz #11: Why do you bury the “friends” link?
- facebook Pop Quiz #10: How can facebook ads be so bad?
- facebook Pop Quiz #9: Why so hard to ADD a Friend?
- facebook Pop Quiz #8: So you wanna POKE ME now?
- facebook Pop Quiz #7: Why Is facebook Killing the Profile Boxes?
- facebook Pop Quiz #6: How Do You Capitalize facebook? Or Do You
- facebook Pop Quiz #5: Try the Simple Uploader or the Java Uploader – WTF?
- facebook POP QUIZ #4: What’s the top user goal on facebook?
- facebook POP QUIZ #3: Why So Many SETTINGS Pages? Can You Do It In One?
- facebook’s Ad Targeting System: FB Pop Quiz #2
- facebook POP QUIZ #1: Find Your Friends In One Click