[An uber.la quickie is a streamlined takeaway from today’s best marketing sources]
“Whatever humans have learned had to be learned as a consequence only of trial and error experience. Humans have learned only through mistakes.” – Buckminster Fuller
It’s one of those essays that when you read it you will never forget it. Perhaps it was right place and right time, but Terry Bragg’s 8 Steps for Overcoming Fear of Failure, was a transformative document for me. So much so, that I made a point of copy-and-pasting it to my hard drive. And I’ve never lost it. I need to read his advice every so often. The most important tidbit, that has become a maxim of mine, “Fail Faster.”
Here’s an outline of Terry’s fantastic points, in case you don’t have time to read the whole thing. Sometimes all you need are the guideposts.
8 Steps for Overcoming the Fear of Failure
Step 1: Take action. Bold decisive action.
Step 2: Persist.
Step 3: Don’t take failure personally.
Step 4: Do things differently.
Step 5: Don’t be so hard on yourself.
Step 6: Treat the experience as an opportunity.
Step 7: Look for possible opportunities.
Step 8: Fail forward fast.
“Most people self-limit themselves. Most people do not achieve a fraction of what they are capable of achieving because they are afraid to try-because they are afraid they will fail.” – Terry Bragg
- Feel the Fear . . . and Do It Anyway by Susan Jeffers
- 31 Days to High Self-Esteem: How to Change Your Life So You Have Joy, Bliss & Abundance by Terry Bragg
Check out the
Social Media Digital Strategist’s Notebook page and these other posts about learning online marketing:
- The Disciplines of Social Media < free ebook download
- Social Media University < 2 minute educational videos
- Social Business MBA < the reading list
- Becoming a Social Media Rockstar: The Quick Path < um… let’s discuss
Let me help you jumpstart your social marketing: