1. Death of the Social Media Strategist: Overselling & Underperforming from the Start
Okay, do you see the problem? If all we talk about is “social media” we’re talking about 8% of the total marketing budget. There are plenty more ONLINE channels that could fall into our bucket, (email, seo, online ads) but as a line item, it’s easy to see how social is often not the first priority.
2. Home – index page
This is victory. These are the folks who are looking for more information or more posts to read.
3. HUMOR: The Final Tweets of @j_tsar the Boston Bombing Suspect 4-19-13
A friend posted a screenshot of the actual final tweets of j_tsar. I saw the opportunity to make a funny. The post went viral.
4. Writing a Plan for Your Future – A Career Path Template
“The point is, in the big picture, no one is going to look after your career for you, but you.”
– from Erin Malone on Boxes and Arrows in 2004
5. Managing the Information Overload of Social Media
Every morning when I wake up the media and inputs are screaming for my attention. It is up to me what I want to spend time contemplating, writing about, working on. Every single day we have to filter out thousands of messages, grabbing for our mental bandwidth. How do you FILTER?
6. Twitter Jail: What is it? What are the rules? How do I break out?
In social media it’s worse than “I see dead people.” When your browser says “You can no longer follow any more users.” It is the social media equivalent of jail. Sleeping off your rampant Twitter Follow campaign may or may not help. Twitter’s not sharing the rules.
7. THE BASICS of Online Marketing (Social Media, Search Engine Marketing, eMail Marketing, Content Marketing)
They are not buzz words, they are individual disciplines you will confront in any holistic online marketing campaign. A quick look at the large forces of online marketing should help provide a framework for how social media fits into and accelerates the other kinds of online marketing.
8. Apple vs. Dell: Best Tech Rants of 2012
There is no love of competition between Dell and Apple. A long time ago, and many billions of dollars of valuations ago, Michael Dell said, “Apple should give the money back to the investors and close up shop.” (I paraphrase, please forgive me.) And yet Dell’s obsession with Apple continues. But there is really no competition. Dell is a huge leaderless and visionless factory for plastic and chrome clones. Apple continues to lead technology innovation and rake in loads of cash for their “more expensive” devices.
9. The Twitter Way
I do my best to be REAL and 100% un-automated. If I tweet something, it means I am ONLINE at the time.
10. Twitter Death – Suspended Accounts: FEAR THIS “Your account is currently suspended”
A significant step worse than Twitter Jail. Death is what happens when Twitter suspends your account. Fortunately for me this was a spoof account I was playing with. The suspension was wrong and they reversed the death sentence. But the lesson was learned. You don’t have to repeat my errors.
@jmacofearth (also seen on Google+: jmacofearth)